Aimed at professionals and dedicated amateurs, The Art of Faux is packed with gorgeous examples of faux finishes. Internationally acclaimed, award-winning decorative painter and instructor Pierre Finkelstein covers every aspect of the art form in tremendous detail, beginning with extensive specifics on all tools, materials, supplies, and planning, and including preparation and cleanup considerations. Each of the other 10 chapters concentrates on a wide variety of faux finishes in different categories: marble, semiprecious stone, limestone and sandstone, wood, patinas and textures, metals and gilding, tile, organic materials (such as ivory, leather, and mother-of-pearl), stenciling, and trompe l’oeil. There are even instructions for uncommon faux finishes, such as bamboo, Delft tile, snakeskin, and damask, that are not generally taught in other books on the subject. Every finish is presented as a complete recipe, and the list of ingredients includes not only paints, glazes, and tools, but also difficulty ratings and lists of preparatory exercises for techniques that are part of the complete finish. People seriously involved in any aspect of faux finishing–particularly people considering careers in the field–should invest in the information-packed The Art of Faux.
The Paint Effects Bible is a library of faux finishes: 100 of them. Each is described on a single spread with a large photograph of the finish plus step-by-step illustrations, an ingredients list, and detailed instructions for creating the effect.
A valuable source for professional and amateur decorators alike, this book comes in a handy, pocket-sized format with a concealed wiro-binding that lays flat during use.
The Paint Effects Bible includes:
- How to decorate with paint finishes
- Basic color theory including choosing colors and combinations
- Basic techniques plus helpful hints
- A paint effect selector that helps you choose the best effect and variation
The paint effects are made with brushes, rollers, rags, sponges and waxes. Featured are:
- Textured Effects: stone, leather, fabric, plaster, crackleglaze, craquelure, sand, metal, paper and découpage
- Traditional Finishes: sienna, breccia, carrera, rosa and granite marble; oak, pine, cherry and mahogany; distressing, antiquing, trompe l’oeil, lining, marquetry, porphyry, tortoiseshell, lapis lazuli, malachite, floating marbles
- Metallics: verdigris, steel, copper, rusted iron, patination, gold and silver leaf
- Patterns and Motifs: stencils, murals, repeats, overlays, block printing, frottage
- Other Patterns and Motifs: banding, stripes, squares, borders, spray painting
Learn how to create the look of precious stone or wood with the Multi-Purpose Comb. Create colorful, classic looks on walls and furniture with the Ocean Sponge. Add elegant texture to projects with the French Brush.